Joseph Solomon, Chief of Police
Quinn Public Safety Building
90 Hampshire St.
Methuen, MA 01844
For Immediate Release
Friday, March 9, 2018
Media Contact: Captain Kristopher McCarthy
Email: [email protected]
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Methuen Police Respond to Carbon Monoxide Incident at Residence
METHUEN — Mayor James Jajuga and Chief Joseph Solomon report that the Methuen Police Department responded to a carbon monoxide incident at a residence today, and are warning all residents to take proper safety precautions against CO poisoning.
On Friday, March 9, at 8:49 a.m., Methuen Police and Fire responded to a residence on Pelham Street for a report of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. One of the residents, a 62-year-old female, reported waking up not feeling well and went to check on her husband, a 55-year-old male, who was on the couch in another room, unresponsive.
The male victim was still unresponsive when he was transported to a local hospital. The female victim was also transported to a local hospital for evaluation.
An initial investigation indicates that an improperly ventilated generator caused high levels of carbon monoxide in the home.
“We are strongly encouraging residents to follow the safety guidelines provided in order to avoid similar incidents from happening again,” Mayor Jajuga said. “Please contact public safety officials if you have any questions about how to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning.”
“Please use these safety tips to keep you and your families safe from carbon monoxide poisoning,” Chief Solomon said. “Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer, so it is extremely important to take as many preventative steps as possible to protect yourself.”
To prevent future incidents, Mayor Jajuga and Chief Solomon would like to remind residents of several important safety tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding carbon monoxide safety:
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent; fatal levels of carbon monoxide can be produced in just minutes
- Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year, and make sure your fireplace damper is open before lighting a fire and well after the fire is extinguished
- Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly
- Never use your oven for heating your home
- Never let a car idle in the garage