Teamwork Always Makes Work Easier
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018, around 1:45 pm, a water pipe burst in the kitchen at the Halcyon House Nursing home on Berkeley Street in Methuen.
As a result of the pipe break, the first floor of the building was flooded causing staff to move all of the residents of the home to the second floor.
The flooding waters continued to cause problems and began to effect electricity in the building causing sparks and arcing wires. The Methuen Police and Fire Departments were called and responded to the home. The electricity had to be shut off to the entire building as a result of the damage. Working together as a team, the Methuen Police and Fire Department evacuated approximately 20 residents of the home and staff to Sanborn Hall at Methuen Police Station. All of the residents stayed at the police station until they were temporarily placed with family members or other facilities.
As of Thursday morning, the power and heat have been restored to the facility. Work crews are working on fixing the sprinklers and repairing damages from the water. All of the residents should be able to return back home by Monday afternoon, once the repairs have been completed.
The residents were extremely thankful for the services provided by both the Methuen Fire and Methuen Police Departments.